Moorish, gooey and warming… Perfect for a small autumn/winter afternoon indulgence!
375g Unsifted plain white flour
3/4 tsp bicarbonate of Soda
3/4 tsp salt
250g unsalted butter
350g of caster sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
350g dark chocolate (crumbled)
1. Preheat oven to 170c/375f/gas mark 5
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, bicarb and salt.
3. In a medium sized pan, gently heat the butter until half melted then remove from the heat
4. Stir in the sugar and vanilla extract, then beat in the eggs.
5. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir together. Let it cool for a couple of minutes before adding the chocolate pieces.
6. You can now make 40 – 50g balls to bake in the oven 6 at a time on lightly greased baking paper for approx 10-12mins or until golden brown around the outside. (Bake straight from the fridge for best results)
7. Once baked, carefully lift the cookies, holding the edges of the baking paper/tin foil and drop onto a flat work surface from a height of a few inches to knock the air out of the mixture. Leave to cool.
8. Add a few flakes of sea salt to give a little zing